Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Psalm 61


An Assurance of God’s Protection


To the leader: with stringed instruments.
Of David.
Hear my cry, O God;
  
 listen to my prayer. 

From the end of the earth I call to you,
   
when my heart is faint.

Lead me to the rock
  
 that is higher than I; 

for you are my refuge,
  
 a strong tower against the enemy.

Let me abide in your tent for ever,
   
find refuge under the shelter of your wings.
          
Selah
For you, O God, have heard my vows;
   
you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name.

Prolong the life of the king;
   
may his years endure to all generations! 

May he be enthroned for ever before God;
   
appoint steadfast love and faithfulness to watch over him!

So I will always sing praises to your name,
   
as I pay my vows day after day.

This is a gorgeous short psalm that appears nowhere in our Sunday lectionery. 
This is the only time and place that we hear it in our scriptural rotation.
But the imagery is exquisite:

Lead me to the rock that is higher than I....

Let me abide in your tent forever, 
find refuge under the shelter of your wings.

I will sing praises to your name,
as I pay my vows day after day.

Any one of these phrases would make a 
breath-taking mantra for this day in the season of Lent;
a perfect refrain for today's love song to God!


No comments:

Post a Comment