Wednesday, March 5, 2014

A Season of Sharing Our Stories

Ash Wednesday

This season of Holy Lent, our theme is all about telling and hearing and sharing our stories.

The first two installments of our daily blog will be a pair of essays about the experience of taking "Ashes-To-Go" out into our community at large.  In observance of Ash Wednesday, John McDargh and I took some of the ashes from our 7:30am service at St. Paul's out to two Newton T-stops and offered them to…..anyone and everyone. John went to Newton Centre and I held forth in Newton Highlands.

Below is a short sharing of John's story. Mine will be posted tomorrow


Reflections on the Offering of Ashes   
By John Mcdargh                                                                                                                                                      This morning after our 7:30 am  launch of Lent at St. Paul’s, I donned an alb  and with a plastic container of ashes and a damp paper towel made for the Newton Centre in-bound Metro stop on the Green Line.  I discovered this morning the wisdom of Sara Miles new book  City of God: Faith in the Streets ,who says  that when the church leaves the safety of its own space and gets out where the people are, and  in ways that are generously sacramental,  “things happen”. 
Numbers of people approached me to ask for ashes, but the  most memorable encounter was with the first man to whom I offered ashes.   “Yes, thank you. I am Catholic”, he replied and then added that his high school aged son was an altar boy and went to a diocesan high school in Springfield.  I wondered whether he felt he needed to establish his religious credential before receiving this sign of our shared mortality  and common need for God’s  healing and hope.  After I had placed the smudge of burnt palm on his forehead and prayed with him we stood and talked for some time before his train arrived.  He offered that he had a degree in accounting but that some years ago  for about eight years he had been unable to work because of a perfect storm of illnesses:  a stroke, a  heart-attack and a long difficult recovery. Now that he is able to work again,  at least part- time ,  potential employers note  that lacuna in his resume and do not want to talk with him ;  and even if he is given the chance  to explain the circumstances they still do not want to touch him.   I shared with him  my thought that on this day it is perhaps such employers who  are most in need of  this visible reminder of the vulnerability and fragility of every human  life , and  to experience the way in which this might  open the door of our hearts to the radical compassion exemplified in the life of Jesus.
As I left the station,  my frozen hands finally getting the best of me, I found myself  remembering  my  first Ash Wednesday in Washington DC at Coast Guard Headquarters which was then located next to St. Dominic’s Church which on that day  of the year distributed ashes all day on the half hour beginning at 6:00 am.   By noon when I left the building for lunch it seemed that every other person I passed  -  and  in range that crossed age, gender, class, physical appearance and race -     had an  ashen cross smudged on their foreheads.  I  suddenly found myself  close to tears as I  imagined that somehow on this single  day of the year an invisible sign  we all bear miraculously became visible. The black cross announced to all who could read it:   “this precious  human person beloved of God, she too will die.”   
I recall that this limerick came to mind by that great Anglican poet W. H.  Auden.   He  expresses  with typical  humor a sober realization about the human condition that is in fact the place we are asked to stand in to begin the Lenten journey back towards the Creator who  “hates nothing that  He/She  has made”  (Book of Common Prayer for Ash Wednesday) .


As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.
                                                          -W.H. Auden

No comments:

Post a Comment