Thursday, March 21, 2013

A Meditation on Psalm 131


A Meditation on Psalm 131

by Rev'd. Gretchen Grimshaw

Psalm 131

A Song of Ascents. Of David.


O Lord, my heart is not lifted up,

  
my eyes are not raised too high;


I do not occupy myself with things
 too great and too marvellous for me. 


But I have calmed and quieted my soul,
  

 like a weaned child with its mother;
  
my soul is like the weaned child that is with me.


O Israel, hope in the Lord
 from this time on and for evermore.



A Meditation on Psalm 131

Gracious God of hope from this time on and forevermore,
Here I am, again. Standing before you in need of….so many things.
Here I am, again. Standing before you with such humility.
Again, here I am. Kneeling before you
with eyes that have witnessed too much, and seen too little.
Again, here I am. Wanting before you,
with a heart that has beaten itself and broken its promises.

O God, how can you trust me?

Marvelous Creator of hope from this time on and forevermore,
Here I am, once more.
Having encountered so many transgressions  against justice & love, 
by my own hand.
Here I am, once more.
Having settled at least a part of the score with my own conscience.
One more time, here I am.
As a child of some experience, but little understanding.
One more time, here I am.
As I try to let loose another piece of my beastly independence.

O God, how can you believe in me?

Great Source of life and hope from this time on and forevermore,
Here I am, with You etched on my heart.
Here I am, with Your likeness shining through my eyes.
Here I am, with Your breath in my lungs.
Here I am, with Your promise in my bones.

O God, how can anything be too great or too marvelous for us?


No comments:

Post a Comment